Monday 3 May 2010

HOMOPHOBIA...


''Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards homosexuality and people identified or perceived as being homosexual.'' This sentence taken from Wikipedia defines the term homophobia. Although it does define or explain why people are homophobic. Perhaps it's because of their religion? Like the episodes of eastenders we've all seen recently with Christian and Syed. Or is it because God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Arthur? Personally I don't care what your sexual preference is, as long as you don't throw it in my face. In saying that, that doesn't mean I don't want straight couples snogging right infront of me either, there's a time and a place for that kind of behaviour and I think they call it behind doors! I don't really understand why homophobia is still present in our society today, I think that people ought to be a little bit more broad minded about this kind of situation. People haven't just suddenly become gay! It's become more acceptable, for example I'm sure Brighton's meant to be the gay capital of our country?! Drag queens, lesbians, sex shops, the lot.People embrace their sexuality and there is no reason why they shouldn't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/apr/01/equality.gayrights

This article explains how gay people assume that they will be treated differently by public services. However there is no reason as to why they ought to be treated differently. I'd rather a gay person get good health care than an illegal immigrant!
I feel a bit scared to say how I feel about this issue because I don't want to offend anyone that is gay or bisexual-because really I have no problems with gay people. Homophobes need to realise this is the 21st century and equality is more important now more than ever, no matter how old you are, what colour you are or what sexual preference you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment