Tuesday 4 May 2010

Reply to Soph's blog on 'BARMY ARMY!'



http://sophiesblogjls.blogspot.com/2010/05/barmy-armyyyyyyyyyyyyy.html

Having previously been a season ticket holder myself at the Wolves I feel the same as Soph about match days. I used to go with my Dad and enjoyed the whole experience, it was a day out, I loved the atmosphere there as much as the match itself.
It's a thrilling feeling to watch your team win however I've never seen the point in fighting over it, eg. The Subway Army.

Notorious footballs 'firms' make the fighting just as important as the match itself, and scenarios like this are glamourised in films today, for example 'The Firm'.
Therefore films such as this or 'The Football Factory' tend to encourage people to get involved with the hooliganism with their local teams.

Soph also explains how a young child is pictured swearing, this is NOT uncommon at Molineux! And to be honest, you can't blame the kids for their behaviour with all their swearing and ranting parents around them, they will automatically assume that this is the right/normal way to behave at a football match. Infact, as a young Wolves fan, I was raised to hate West Brom! I didn't ask why or anything I just did because everyone did. Still nowadays I get involved with all the swearing in the chants at the matches, not that I condone swearing but some chants are quite funny and patriarchal!

Since my Dad died I haven't been to a match, I suppose that going to the match with my Dad was one of the most important things to me about match days, and seens as he's not here anymore I don't feel right going without him.
Football is more than a game to some people, it's about fighting, or having some father-daughter time. More importantly it's about backing your local club!

No comments:

Post a Comment